Do I need to enrol in Senior High School (SHS) if I already Graduated High School Before 2016?

The answer is no. You don’t have to enroll in Senior High if you already completed High School before 2016.

With the upcoming enrollment for batch 2018-2019 college students, I came across a few forums that raised this question. We hope that this short article will give you a better idea of the K to 12 Program.

Here is a quick and easy guide courtesy of CHED:

K to 12 Transition Program


SHS refers to Grades 11 and 12, which are the last two years of the Department of Education’s (DepEd) K to 12 (K-12) program. The K-12 program was implemented in 2012. In SHS, students study the subjects that will introduce them to their preferred career path.

In the old high school system, students normally spend 4 years in high school (First Year to Fourth Year). In the K-12 program, those four years are now referred to us Grade 7, 8, 9 and 10 -- also known as junior high school (JHS).

Under Republic Act No. 10533 (Enhanced Basic Education Act of 2013), one is required to complete:

13 years in all, before they can receive a high school diploma.

Students cannot be forced to enroll in SHS. However, if the students stop at Grade 10 (previously referred to as Fourth Year High School), they will only receive a JHS certificate and be considered a Grade 10 completed -- they will not receive a high school diploma and therefore not considered a high school graduate.


Posted in Tips